I’ve been making cakes and buns and biscuits, tarts and pies and cookies for years and years and years. On the whole I think I’m not a bad cook and the family and friends always devour anything I bake… so I found a recipe for muffins and thought I would have a go for my daughter’s 18th birthday. I would make nine chocolate chunk buns and nine blueberry muffins. The buns… fab, delicious, yummy, wonderful. The blueberry muffins….
Warm Blueberry Muffins
200g plain flour
2 tbsps baking powder
125g caster sugar
150ml vegetable oil
Heat the oven to 180C/gas mark 4.
- Cut the berries in half.
- Sift the flour and baking powder int the sugar.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the milk, eggs and oil until smooth.
- Make a well in the centre of the flour mixture and quickly and lightly beat in the liquid mixture.
- Fold in the blueberries and spoon the batter into muffin moulds.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until risen and golden, cool on a wire rack.
- Serve while warm or eat the same day.
I am an experienced cook; I followed the recipe exactly… after 40 minutes the muffins were pale and looked uncooked; I turned up the heat and cooked for another ten minutes when they were faintly golden brown. I took them out of the oven and placed them on the rack. When they were cool I decorated them with frosting and silver balls…. well, they looked ok… ish. They were soft and almost like a pudding, cooked but so moist they were on the verge of being liquid. They tasted ok but the texture was just wrong, wrong, wrong. Should I have cooked them at an even higher temperature, for even longer? I don’t usually use oil in baking, butter or margarine is what I normally use… epic fail…
So please, anyone out there with a good muffin recipe, help!!!! because this one was useless!