I posted a little while ago about midnight soup, which was originally my aunty’s recipe but we also adopted and ate on Christmas Eve when all the family arrived for Christmas. Now… here is the recipe!
- 1 lb steak
- 3 tbsp oil
- 4 onions
- 4 tbsp tomato puree
- 3 pints stock
- 1 tbsp chilli sauce
- ¼ tsp ground pepper
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tbsp pickled silverskin onions
- 10 oz grapes
- 1 tbsp flour
- 6 tbsp cream
- 8 oz mushrooms
- 1 liqueur glass brandy
- 1 tumbler glass port
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 level tsp paprika
- Cut meat into small cubes. Heat oil and fry meat until lightly brown. Peel and dice onions and fry lightly with meat at low temperature.
- Stir in tomato puree. Add stock, cover and simmer for 45 minutes.
- Add chilli sauce, pepper, cayenne pepper, and silverskin onions. Stir well.
- Slice mushrooms and add to pan. Wash grapes, slice and add to pan. Bring to the boil. Mix flour with cream and add to soup.
- Add brandy and port, salt and paprika before serving.
I also added orange zest and some mixed spice for a really Christmassy feel. I had no brandy, so added a little extra port… Aunty Beryl didn’t specify how much a liqueur glass or a tumbler should hold, so be generous! I rinsed the silverskin onions well and cut the grapes in half; I added the mushrooms not long before serving, I don’t like them overcooked and the little Japanese ones I used were so cute I wanted them to hold their shape.I didn’t add any flour as the soup was thick enough already. I served it with crusty bread and extra cream if anyone wanted to add a dollop.