There’s a pub quiz in the Dolphin every Tuesday night; I don’t always go but I do always enjoy it when I do. Our team, usually me and Bari, never win… although there is a beer question at the end which we have sometimes won.
If only I wrote the questions, or if only the questions were ones I knew the answer to! So, I’ve decided to have my own quiz, and here are the questions:
- In the news: What was Pope Benedict’s name before he was Pope?
- Music: Who sang ‘Dance the night away’?
- Sport: How many Olympic gold medals did Mark Spitz win?
- Pot luck: How many counties are there in Ireland (north and south) 24, 32, 38?
- TV: which BBC crime series ended with a bang last week, and stars Emilia Fox and William Gaminara?
- Cookery: Eggs Benedict is a dish of eggs served with which sauce?
- TV: A tricky one now – who wrote the theme music for both ‘Morse’ and ‘Lewis’?
- Literature: Who recently won her second Man Booker prize for her historical novel?
- In the news: A 5,000 year old temple complex was found near which city in Peru?
- Sport: England have been knocked out of which World Cup in India?
- Music: Jimmy Page on guitar, John Bonham on drums, John Paul Jones on bass – who is missing on vocals?
- Pot luck: Which is bigger, Iceland or Ireland?
- Cookery: What is pemmican?
- Art: Who painted ‘The Scream’?
- Geography: What is the capital city of Bulgaria?
- Geography; Which country is Tbilisi capital of?
- Literature: Who wrote the Winnie-the-Pooh stories?
- Current affairs: Who is the President of France?
- Music: In which Beatles song is the line “We see the banker sitting waiting for a trim, then the fireman rushes in”?
- Sport: Which country’s representatives have won the most London Marathons, including men and women, and all wheelchair athletes?
- TV: In which American state was the series ‘Northern Exposure’ set?
- History: How long did the War of the Roses, between Yorkshire and Lancashire, last, 30 years, 37 years, 49 years?
- Film: Hugh Jackman, Russell Crowe, Anne Hathaway,Helena Bonham Carter and Eddie Redmayne all star in a film, based on a musical, based on a book by which 19th century French author?
- Cookery: Who published a ‘ Book of Household Management’ in 1861?
- Name the year: In what year was Dublin the European Capital of Culture, Boris Yeltsin is elected president of Russia, the USA beat Europe in the Rider Cup golf tournament by one point, and Bryan Adams was number 1 in the charts for 16 consecutive weeks?
Answers coming soon!