I love beetroot, and have recently discovered how delicious it is raw. Here’s a recipe I shared some time ago – I think I’m going to make it again and use raw beet!
This is what I wrote:
I came across a recipe for pickled beetroot and boiled eggs… I like beetroot (unpickled) and I like boiled eggs but together? Sometimes you have a go at following a recipe and it goes wrong but the dish is still not only edible, but quite nice. However, with boiled eggs and beetroot I’m not sure it would be nice whether it was the correct recipe or not.
In the recipe I found the beetroot are steeped in a sweet pickle – that wouldn’t improve them for me The recipe also uses beet of different colours – sounds good, but then cooks them together. Surely the red beetroot would bleed into the golden? Surely the pink would just become red? Mixed coloured beets are usually more expensive, so if they all end up looking the same colour it sounds a waste of money.. hmmmm.
I’ve had a think, and I’ve adjusted the recipe, here is my version:
Beetroot and egg salad
- 1 lb beetroot, peeled, cooked in water, (liquor reserved) then cubed. If using different coloured beetroot, cook in different pans
- 2 tbsp of wine or cider vinegar (or slightly less)
- 2 tbsp of castor sugar
- 2 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp creamed horseradish (miss it out if you don’t like it or add more if you do)
- 4 tbsp of double cream
- 4 boiled eggs, peeled and cut in half
- optional grated horseradish (I think it sounds a bit aggressive so I didn’t use it – but it is in the original recipe!)
- salad leaves of your choice
- chopped chives
- salt and pepper
- mix the sugar and vinegar until dissolved
- add the mustard and horseradish if you like it and mix really well
- stir in enough cream to get the consistency you prefer and chill
- arrange the leaves and scatter the beetroot
- arrange eggs and season, then drizzle with dressing (reserve some in a jug to serve separately if there seems too much – you don’t want the leaves to go soggy)
- garnish with chives and the grated horseradish
My featured image is of a different salad I made with beetroot with no eggs and a lime dressing.