One of my favourite dishes when we visit the Netherlands and go out to eat is chicory wrapped in ham in a savoury sauce. I don’t know if every restaurant serves it as The Triangle does – Cafe Den Driehoek, but it’s my favourite choice! It probably tastes extra good as we are in such fine company with our friends!
I’ve come across a recipe which seems to approximate what it’s like, but so far I have failed to find chicory… here’s the recipe anyway:
- 4 heads of chicory
- 4 slices of cooked ham
- chicken stock
- grated cheese, plus extra for topping
- pepper and salt
- chopped fresh herbs of your choice, maybe parsley, chives, coriander… or chervil if you have it
- simmer the chicory in the stock until they are just tender, you don’t want them floppy and slimy
- remove from the stock – set it aside to make the sauce
- roll the ham round the chicory and place in a buttered heat-proof dish.
- make a sauce from the stock, milk, butter, cheese and flour, season to taste with salt, pepper and plenty of nutmeg
- pour the sauce over the chicory and sprinkle with the rest of the cheese
- place under grill or in oven to gratné for 10 minutes
- garnish with herbs and serve with creamy mashed potato (with plenty of butter, chopped herbs, and nutmeg)
My featured image is nothing to do with triangles, the Netherlands or chicory!!