Friends were coming to visit and we haven’t seen them for a very long time; I decided to make and as someone is off chocolate for this month, i thought I would make a lemon drizzle cake. I use my mum’s recipe and it’s different from her sister my aunty’s cake in the type of topping. The recipe I have has a syrup made from the juice of a lemon with sugar dissolved into it, and then poured onto the warm cake to soak in. In my aunty’s recipe, the sugar is sprinkled on top, then the juice is poured over it and leaves a crunchy top. It puts my teeth on edge, that sugary crust, so I prefer mum’s recipe – of course!
When I came to make it I only had one elderly lemon, two elderly limes and a single orange… I looked through my recipes and found one which is so similar to my mum’s except it is orange, not lemon and has poppy seeds… Was this a recipe I’d made up from mum’s, is it a recipe from someone else? I’m not sure.
Given the fruit I had, I decided to make a citrus drizzle cake and here the original recipe recipe:
- 8 oz butter
- 8 oz self-raising flour
- 8 oz castor sugar
- 3 large eggs
- zest of 1 orange and the juice of 1½ oranges
- optional poppy seeds
- 2 oz castor sugar
- juice of 1½ oranges
- cream butter and sugar together until really pale and fluffy
- add zest then eggs and flour alternately
- gently add the orange juice (and poppy seeds)
- put into a greased lined cake or loaf tin
- bake at 180ºC, gas mark 4, 350ºF for 40-50 mins, or longer if it isn’t quite ready
- make the drizzle by gently heating orange juice and sugar until the sugar is all dissolved – don’t boil
- while the cake is still warm, stab it all over with a fork then spoon the juice and sugar mixture evenly over the top
I used the orange juice and zest, and lemon zest in the cake; I used the lemon and lime juice as the topping. Because the fruit was a little past its best, and because it seemed thin, I added a few drops of real orange oil… I think I should have added more, and i think if it had been possible to add the lime zest it would have been better. I didn’t add the poppy seeds, not sure if everyone liked them
However, everyone enjoyed the cake as it was, and my friends had a second slice! My featured image is of me and my friend and silly hats.