I must get back to investigating the life of my great-grandfather, Louis Walford. Born in Tasmania to a very wealthy Jewish family, at some point he moved to Sydney, Australia. he lived there for some years and worked as a broker, and seems to have dealt mainly in minerals:
- 13th November, 1872, copper miners – Wanted, for the Cootralantra Copper Mines, Cooma, two copper miners , accustomed to dress and sort ore. L. F. Walford, broker,289, George-street.. Sydney Morning Herald see yesterday’s Herald for prospectus of the Union Reef Gold Mining Company, Solferino; or can be had on application. L. F. WALFORD, Broker, 289, George-street.
- 2nd October 1872 The Alicia Tin Mining Co . Special attention is directed to this prospectus in Tuesday’s Herald, the capital being small, and a large number of shares already applied for. L. F. WALFORD, Broker, 289, George-street. Sydney Morning Herald
- 2nd December 1872 for sale .-Krohmans, Beyers and Holtermans, Carrol Boards, Rapps, Hickson and Creighton, Browns, Tambaroora and Louisa, Golden Point, Lucknow,Enterprise, General Molike, Boorak Consols, Bang Bang, and Walhalla. Peak Down Consols, Mount Coora, Victoria, and Cowra Copper. Kettle Swamp, Mount Marlay, Lady Normanby, Broadwator, Sydney, Ruby, Pioneer, and Queensland Tin. Wanted, Maroolinis, Lady Belmores, Williams, and Sydney Tin. L. F. WALFORD, Broker, 289, George-street.
- 5th February 1872 MR. L. F. WALFORD, Stock and Share Broker,289, George Street, will be glad to receive Commissions for inspection, purchase, or report, during his visit to the Adelong and Tumut Gold-fields. Till 12th instant. Shaw’s Hotel, Adelong. ‘
- 22nd October 1872 Victoria Reef Gold Mining Company, Victoria Reef, Adelong.Only six claims from Williams’.For SALE, 260 Shares, fully paid up, in the above claim. It is 12 acres in extent on the Victoria Reef, and the capital is only £8000, whilst Williams’s, on the same reef, now in the market for £75,000, is not quite 3 acres. L. F. WALFORD, Broker, 289, George-street.
I tried to find what £75,000 would be in today’s money… a staggering £7,500,000… Louis must have been a very wealthy man!