I’m looking through the coverless little booklet received free with an Electrolux refrigerator, maybe in the 50’s or 60’s, I’ll never know. Maybe it was my mum’s, or my mother-in-law’s, again I’ll never know. Today we buy tomato juice in cartons or bottles, we’d never think of making our own… but maybe if we have a glut of tomatoes this summer, maybe this is a recipe I should try – as the booklet says, it’s also suitable for cocktails or seasonings!
- 1 pound of tomatoes, sliced
- 1 tablespoonful of vinegar
- 1 teaspoonful of Worcester sauce
- 1 dessertspoonful of finely chopped onion
- 1 dessertspoonful of sugar
- pepper and salt to taste
- very gently simmer the tomatoes in a covered saucepan until tender
- press through a strainer
- mix the pulp with the rest of the ingredients
- keep in the refrigerator until ready for use
I’m not sure I’d want finely chopped onion in my tomato juice somehow!