The premise of the radio programme ‘Desert island Discs’ is that you are stranded on a desert island and only have eight discs, plus a book and a luxury item. It is actually an interview programme, the host interviews a celebrity and intersperses the gentle ramble through their lives with favourite music. It has been going donkey’s years, in fact it celebrated its seventieth anniversary last year. It somehow doesn’t date, though because of the variety of guests it has featured.
We were listening this morning to producer and agent, Beryl Vertue, responsible for a wide variety of films, musicals, and TV programmes from Dr Who, to the Goons, to Evita. If you want to know more about the programme, here’s a link:
I began to think about my desert island, and what musical choices I would make… so tricky but here goes:
- The Pearl Fishers Duet, sung by Jussi Björling and Robert Merrill… in an ideal world the duet would be Raul Malo and Wynne Evans… phew!!
- No-one Told me About Her – The Zombies
- Suffragette City – David Bowey
- What Does it Take (…To Win Your Love For Me) – Junior Walker
- Human – The Killers
- The Story of The Blues – Wah
- Dream River – Raul Malo
- From A Distance – Donna Summer, Nancy Griffith, Raul Malo
My book would be ‘Tinker, Taylor, Soldier, Spy’ by John le Carré, and my luxury… wow so tricky! A bottomless barrel of beer? A grape-vine and all I need to make wine? A computer to write on? An endless supply of clean sheets? I actually can’t think! So I’ll have to get back to you on that!