As usual we had a marvellous family holiday! Five cousins, five partners, nine children, two girlfriends, six grandchildren, three dogs… what a houseful!
And also as usual I’m sure we all ate far too much; on the first night we always haves sausages because they are easy to cook and this year we had them with mash and baked beans, and on the last night we had left-overs from the other dinners and jacket potatoes.
- On Saturday we had lamb and beef meatballs in a Mexican tomato sauce with noodles and crusty bread
- On Sunday we had a roast – what else would we have?!! Pork and lamb with Yorkshire puddings, roast potatoes, parsnips, cabbage, onion sauce, carrots, peas, mashed potatoes, gravy
- On Monday we had cod with a cassoulet of beans, tomatoes, bacon and cabbage served with crusty bread
- On Tuesday we had steak and kidney pie with mashed potatoes, carrots and peas and gravy of course!
- On Wednesday we had a choice of chilli con carne with rice or lasagne, with garlic bread
The number sitting round the table varied as people came and went, some having to leave early to go back to work, others coming later as they managed to get a way from work. After every meal instead of a dessert there was a wonderful selection of cakes, buns, and pastries, including coffee cake, cherry cake, lemon drizzle cake, ginger cake, banana and poppy-seed cake, Battenberg cake, chocolate brownies, cup cakes, toffee crisps, millionaire’s shortbread… oh and I am sure there were things I don’t now remember!
We had such a wonderful time that we have booked to go back to the same place again next year…meanwhile I am definitely on a diet!