I love salads and I’m always on the look out for new combinations as well as making my own mixtures! My family doesn’t really like them, however, but I wonder if they might like this… It’s inspired by several different recipes usually called something like ‘Persian Salad’… should that be changed to ‘Iranian Salad?’ I don’t know!
I haven’t put quantities because each recipe I’ve seen varies slightly however, these seem to be the main ingredients of most of them:
- boiled potatoes, diced
- roast chicken diced
- hard-boiled eggs either sliced or chopped
- fresh or frozen peas lightly cooked so they are still crunchy – or sugar or snap peas
- gherkins finely chopped, or capers
- chopped olives (I’d miss these out for my fussy daughter! – Not fussy, she’d say, particular!)
- zest and juice of lemons or lime
- olive oil
- fresh herbs finely chopped
- carefully mix chicken, potatoes, eggs, peas and chopped gherkins or capers, reserving a few for garnish
- beat the mayonnaise, oil, lemon/lime juice and zest, and seasoning.
- add the citrus dressing to the chicken and potato mix and carefully turn in so you don’t break up the potatoes and eggs
- taste and add extra seasoning if necessary,
- garnish with the chopped olives, left over gherkins and capers and chopped herbs.
- keep chilled until ready to serve