A summer quiz from a couple of years ago:
- “And Summer’s lease hath all too short a date; sometime too hot the eye of heaven shines”… who wrote it?
- A seasonal play by Tennessee Williams
- A series of murder mystery novels by Caroline Graham, popular on TV and currently starring Neil Dudgeon
- We don’t want to think about winter, but which of these characters is NOT in ‘A Winter’s Tale’? Archidamus, Clown, Dion, Emilia, Hermione, Kevin, Leontes, Mamillius , Paulina, Perdita, Polixenes, Shepherd,
- Which character is this poet more famous for creating?
Warm Summer Sun – by Mark Twain
Warm summer sun,
Shine kindly here,
Warm southern wind,
Blow softly here.
Green sod above,
Lie light, lie light.
Good night, dear heart,
Good night, good night.
- What is the missing
‘Bed in………………‘ by Robert Louis Stevenson:
In winter I get up at night
And dress by yellow candle-light.
In ……….., quite the other way,
I have to go to bed by day.
I have to go to bed and see
The birds still hopping on the tree,
Or hear the grown-up people’s feet
Still going past me in the street.
And does it not seem hard to you,
When all the sky is clear and blue,
And I should like so much to play,
To have to go to bed by day?
- Which famous TV couple recommend the following authors for their 2013 summer reading club :Liza Klaussmann, Karen Thompson Walker, Sophie McKenzie, Kathleen MacMahon,James Oswald, M L Stedman, Joanna Rossiter, Gavin Extence, Simon Mawer,Lucy Clarke
- Who had great expectations: “Spring flew swiftly by, and summer came; and if the village had been beautiful at first, it was now in the full glow and luxuriance of its richness. The great trees, which had looked shrunken and bare in the earlier months, had now burst into strong life and health; and stretching forth their green arms over the thirsty ground, converted open and naked spots into choice nooks, where was a deep and pleasant shade from which to look upon the wide prospect, steeped in sunshine, which lay stretched out beyond. The earth had donned her mantle of brightest green; and shed her richest perfumes abroad. It was the prime and vigour of the year; all things were glad and flourishing.”
- Which character in ‘A Midsummer’s Night Dream’ sings:Where the bee sucks, there suck I, in a cowslip’s bell I lie; there I couch when owls do cry. On the bat’s back I do fly after summer merrily. Merrily, merrily shall I live now under the blossom that hangs on the bough
- Missing words: – wet, firefly, last, lightning, house, morning
The Summer ….. – Alice Thomas Ellis
As I walked out one Midsummer…………….. – Laurie Lee
I Know What You Did ….. Summer – Lois Duncan
Postman Pat and the …..Summer – John Cunliffe
Summer ….. – P G Wodehouse
…..Summer – Maeve Binchy