I’ve been sharing the quiz I did for our “other” pub, the New Inn in Kewstoke. The two villages of Uphill and Kewstoke are pretty much the south and the north end of Weston-super-Mare. Both great pubs, both great quizzes (is that me blowing my own trumpet?!)
Here are the answers to round 6
Food and drink
- Which nuts are used in marzipan? Almonds
- Where would you be if you were eating al fresco? Out side
- What is a Worcester Pearmain? Apple
- Which cheese is traditionally used for pizzas? Mozzarella
- Which country is the original producer of Emmental cheese? Switzerland
- Which Norfolk city is famous for mustard? Norwich
- What is the name of the pan in which a paella is made? A Paella!
- What is the Hungarian word for pepper? Paprika
- In which county is Wensleydale cheese made? Yorkshire
- What colour is the French wine Beaujolais? Red
- Which alcoholic drink is made from the cactus agave? Tequila
- From which country does the beer Stella Artois originate? Belgium
- What is the main spirit used in a Singapore Sling, and for a bonus which liqueur is also an ingredient? Gin and Cointreau
- What is Japanese sake made from? Rice
- What is bottled in the French town Vichy? Water
- Which soft drink was originally called Vim Tonic, and for a bonus, in which Lancastrian city is it brewed? Vimto and Salford
- With which fruit do you traditionally drink Corona Mexican beer? Lime
- If you were drinking a cup of Oolong, what would you be drinking? Tea
… and here’s the last round:
History and Geography
- Which German nobleman invented the Zeppelin?
- Who was the first president of the USA?
- How many wives did Henry VIII have?
- In which city was the Titanic built?
- What was the name of Napoleon Bonaparte’s first wife?
- How many children did Queen Victoria have?
- What structure did the Romans build along the northern frontier of the Roman Empire in Britain?
- In which century was the Battle of Sedgemoor fought at Westonzoyland near Bridgwater?
- Who reputedly burnt the cakes while hiding from the Danes near Athelney in the Somerset levels?
- True or false – Isambard Kingdom Brunel and his family lived in Weston-super-Mare in Swiss Villa.
- What was the former name of New York?
- Which country was formerly called Ceylon?
- Which city was the capital of Australia from 1901 to 1927?
- What is the capital of Turkey?
- What is the national animal of China?
- Which is the largest desert on earth?
- On which continent can you visit Sierra Leone?
- Through which capital city does the River Liffey flow?
- What is the third largest country in Europe after Russia and Ukraine?
- In which country is Krakow?