I’ve shared a couple of posts about what makes readers give up on a book… interesting, very interesting – but also serves as a warning to writers. Make sure you (i.e. me) don’t fall into the traps which mean people stop reading you!
People gave up reading books because:
- If the story pops out at me and lives before my eyes in ways that’s than the text, I’m intrigued, because I’m seeing magic, and I have to keep going.
- When I can’t relate to the MC, in a recent book the characterisation was done really badly and just grated on my nerves and I couldn’t stand her personality so I stopped reading it. It was an interesting story idea from what I remember, just not delivered well.
- Head hopping, when I can’t figure out who is talking – and a lot of spelling errors!
- To much dialogue!
- My pet peeve is when the author doesn’t get the psychological motivation of his characters right.
- Too much time spent getting to the inciting incident and/or plot point one…. Boredom. If nothing happens for pages and pages except description or background, I’ll probably put it down.
- When it’s predictable.
- When the characters are just really unlikable or the writing is bad with characters I don’t care about, and also when I still don’t know what the story is several chapters into it,
- Having alternating first person narrators, which is annoying enough, but when their “voices” are indistinguishable from each other it only draws my attention to the writers’ weaknesses.
- When I keep thinking “it’s got to get less depressing soon!” but every turn of the page it’s just tragedy and sadness, I finally just decide enough is enough.
- Clever writing – by “clever” I mean someone trying to artificially enhance their natural writing style. First thing my red pen strikes are words I don’t normally use…. and the reverse – the combination of bland writing and an overused premise
- The character doing something out of the ordinary purely for plot development and nothing else. That’s a book deal breaker for me.
I think I ought to make a check-list and go through my work!
My featured image is of a sleeping fisherman… I don’t want readers to fall asleep because my books are boring!